【DSE 英文】DSE Speaking Tips 1 – Make an argument
- When giving your answer, have a strong opinion.
- Don’t make your answer balanced: make it an argument.
- Give one single, strong message with examples and reasons to support your opinion.
- First and last sentences should summarise this view.
【DSE 英文】DSE Speaking – one-minute response Q&A
- Do you think it’s okay for girls to play full-contact sports?
Of course it’s okay for girls to play full-contact sports! I actually believe that it’s sexist to suggest that girls are too delicate or fragile for the kinds of violent sport played by the opposite sex.
Take the girl’s Wing Chun club, for instance. I think that the girls are just as able as the boys. What’s more, I think they are proud of the fact that they don’t have to be regarded as weaker than their male counterparts.
It’s not only okay, in my view, but we should actually encourage more girls to consider these sports. If we don’t, we create sexist inequalities in soceity, where only boys are allowed to be strong or powerful.
Full-contact sports can be frowned upon for other reasons – the brutality, and ease of injury, and so on – but sex should absolutely not be something to consider when deciding about your participation in full contact sports.
- This person has a clear opinon, and gives reasons and examples to support their answer.
- Clear opinion -> example (Wing Chun club) -> reason (it’s sexist) -> reminder of opinion
- Uses phrases like “I think” and “in my view” to show that this is their opinion.